Today, the Basel Committee’s oversight body, the Group of Governors and Heads of Supervision (GHOS), endorsed a number of important proposed and final revisions to the Basel III capital and liquidity standards, including:
- Revisions to the Basel III leverage ratio, which are intended to reflect agreement on a consistent measure of leverage “to overcome differences in national accounting frameworks” and to maintain the leverage ratio as a “backstop” to risk-based capital requirements;
- Proposed changes to the Basel III net stable funding ratio (NSFR), for which the Basel Committee has released a consultative document;
- Final Pillar 3 disclosures standards relating to the Basel III liquidity coverage ratio (LCR);
- Revisions to the Basel III LCR providing that committed liquidity facilities of a type already recognized for jurisdictions with insufficient high-quality liquid assets (HQLAs) may have a role to play within the LCR framework; and
- The Basel Committee’s strategic priorities for the next two years, which include ongoing monitoring and assessment of Basel III implementation; further examining the Basel framework’s balance between simplicity, comparability and risk sensitivity; and improving effectiveness of supervision.
… Read More